Diversional Therapy Unit

arrow

TTSH's Diversional Therapy Unit (DTU) is the oldest volunteer group in the hospital. Started in 1948 by wives of British military personnel, this volunteer group was formed to give support to tuberculosis patients who had been hospitalised for long periods of time. Volunteers engaged patients in handicraft work and other social activities to divert the patient's attention away from their illnesses. This image was photographed in the 1984. It captures out DTU ladies dressed in their green and white striped uniform and aprons., greeting guest at their annual fund raising bazaar. Today, the DTU continues to be active and strives to bring patients joy by befriending them and keeping to the group's tradition of making and selling their handicraft pieces to raise funds for needy patients.

Submission by: Tan Tock Seng Hospital